IN THIS ARTICLE
- Products that Brighten up the under eye area naturally
- How to Brighten up the under eye area naturally
- Lifestyle changes for brighter under eye area
- Featured Products
Dark circles and periorbital puffiness can make us look as if we were perpetually tired, going through life with panda eyes significantly impacting our self-confidence. This article focuses on periorbital hyperpigmentation and a personally vetted selection of natural and effective methods and ingredients that can help you brighten up your ender eye area. Before jumping into the details, I suggest you to also take a look at , a comprehensive explanation on why you get dark circles and eye bags, and what helps in reducing these skin concerns. In fact, as I have explained in that article, in order to achieve success it’s mandatory to understand the cause of your dark circles, before choosing how to address them.
Periorbital hyperpigmentation (what we all call dark circles) is an aesthetic concern that comes with multifactorial causes. The skin around our eyes is thinner and more delicate than the rest of our face, and factors such as lack of sleep and fatigue, increased pigmentation and melanin production, and aging can make the blood vessels under the skin more visible. All these factors can contribute to developing that “panda eyes” effect. Thankfully many natural skincare remedies are very effective to start reducing the appearance of dark circles.
Products that Brighten up Your Under Eye area Naturally
Research has shown the importance of having a complete and well-structured skincare routine, especially on sensitive skin. When looking for proper skincare, always consider the procedence of the products you are buying. There are companies that dedicate themselves to 100% organic and natural skincare so look for an option that is good for your skin and for the environment.
Nature has given us many ingredients that, with an unaltered natural chemical composition, can do wonders to brighten and even out the skin tone. Use products that have ingredients that naturally reduce the concentration of melanin and give your skin that needed boost to glow. To create the best skincare regimen for you, we recommend that you find natural products with these ingredients:
- Hibiscus extract is derived from the flowers of the hibiscus plant. It is rich in antioxidants and alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), which help to exfoliate and brighten the skin. It is also a natural source of vitamin C, which can help to brighten the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. My particular favorite is this Brightening Eye Cream that is designed to brighten the dark circles with no irritation.
- Vitamin C is an essential nutrient required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of the body, including the skin. The powerful antioxidant protects against free radical damage, evens skin tone, and promotes collagen production. This amazing Vitamin C Serum has an optimal concentration of 8% stable Vitamin C, it can be the boost your face needs!
- Moringa Oil is rich in vitamins A and C, which can help to improve skin elasticity, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and promote an overall brighter complexion. The most complete mixture of natural ingredients is on this Marigold & Moringa Night Oil that restores your glow as you sleep.
When looking for eye creams, look out for these ingredients that can naturally boost your daily skincare routine. Always buy your products from companies you trust to ensure that the mixture of ingredients is safe for the area around the eyes and has stable and easily-absorbed components.
How to Brighten up Your Under Eye area Naturally
Follow these seven simple steps to take care of the skin under your eye and effectively brighten up those dark circles:
Step 1: Cleansing
Start your skincare regimen by cleansing your face, carefully including the under-eye area, with a gentle and natural cleanser. Look for a product specifically formulated for sensitive skin to avoid irritation. Our product of choice is the Nectar de Rose revitalizing Cleanser. Here’s how to cleanse your under-eye area properly:
- Wet your face with lukewarm water.
- Take a small amount of the cleanser and gently massage it into your skin using delicate circular motions.
- Pay special attention to the under-eye area, being careful not to tug or pull on the sensitive skin.
- Rinse off the cleanser thoroughly with water or use a clean, soft, damp cloth to wipe it away.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel, avoiding rubbing the skin around your eyes.
Nectar de Rose
A nourishing oil cleanser formulated with jojoba, argan, olive oil, and rosehip oil to gently clarify and restore the skin without over-drying it for healthy, dewy-looking skin.
Step 2: Toning
Toning helps restore the skin’s pH balance and prepares it for the next steps in your skincare routine. For the under-eye area, use a toner suitable for sensitive skin such as our Rose Water Floral Toner, free from harsh chemicals or alcohol. Here’s how to tone your under-eye area effectively:
- Pour a small amount of toner onto a cotton pad.
- Gently dab the cotton pad around your eyes, obviously being carful to avoid direct contact with the eyes themselves.
- Allow the toner to dry naturally on your skin before moving on to the next step. I suggest you to just keep your eyes closed and relax for a few minutes.
A symbol of regeneration, Rose water has long been recognized as a natural ingredient to fight skin aging effectively.
Step 3: Gentle Exfoliation (facultative)
Exfoliating the under-eye area helps remove dead skin cells and promotes cell turnover, making the skin appear brighter and more refreshed. However, exfoliation should be done with extra care due to the delicate nature of the skin in this area. Follow these steps for gentle exfoliation:
- Use an under-eye exfoliant that is specifically formulated for sensitive skin and free of harsh scrubbing particles.
- Apply a small amount of the exfoliant to your ring finger.
- Gently tap the exfoliant around your under-eye area, avoiding the eye itself.
- Allow the product to sit for the recommended time (usually a few minutes).
- Rinse off the exfoliant with lukewarm water or wipe it away with a soft, damp cloth.
Step 4: Serums
Serums are concentrated formulations that target specific skin concerns, such as brightening and evening out the skin tone. Look for a serum such as our C-COMPLEX DROPS, rich in antioxidants and vitamin C (8% concentration on our serum) to brighten the under-eye area. Here’s how to apply the serum:
- Take a small amount of the serum on your fingertip.
- Gently tap the serum around your under-eye area, starting from the inner corner and moving towards the outer corner.
- Use your ring finger for gentle application, as it exerts the least pressure on the skin.
The C-Complex Drops Revitalizing Serum contain an optimal concentration of 8% Vitamin C that’s stable, easily absorbed and gentle on the skin.
Step 5: Eye Cream
Eye creams are specifically designed for the under-eye area, and are essential for moisturizing and protecting the delicate skin. Choose a product with natural ingredients that target dark circles and puffiness, like our Brightening Eye Cream. Here’s how to apply eye cream correctly:
- Take a small amount of eye cream onto your ring finger.
- Gently dab the eye cream along the orbital bone surrounding your eye, avoiding direct contact with the eye itself.
- Use a tapping motion to apply the cream, as this is less likely to cause skin irritation.
Super C HIBISCUS Brightening Eye cream helps to illuminate and reduce dark circles leaving you with a refreshed and youthful look.
Step 6: Moisturizer
Moisturizing is vital to maintain hydration and lock in the benefits of previous skincare steps. Choose a lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer suitable for the under-eye area. Here’s how to apply moisturizer:
- Take a pea-sized amount of moisturizer on your ring finger.
- Gently dab the moisturizer around your under-eye area and across your face.
- Use upward strokes to massage the moisturizer into the rest of your skin.
Step 7: Sunscreen
For several skin types, sunscreen is essential to protect the under-eye area from harmful UV rays and prevent further darkening of the skin. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher. Here’s how to apply sunscreen to the under-eye area:
- Take a small amount of sunscreen on your ring finger.
- Gently pat the sunscreen around your under-eye area, avoiding direct contact with the eyes.
- Ensure even coverage and extend the application to the rest of your face.
By following this complete skincare regimen and using high-quality, plant-based products containing ingredients like hibiscus extract, vitamin C, and moringa oil, you can effectively brighten your under-eye area and achieve a natural glow over time.
Remember to use products from trusted companies to ensure safety and efficacy, and always be gentle when treating the delicate skin around your eyes.
Lifestyle Changes for Brighter Under-Eye Area
Dark circles are not always a sign of sleep deprivation or exhaustion. They can also be due to genetic factors, skin conditions, or underlying health issues. Identifying the cause of your dark circles, whether hereditary hyperpigmentation or severe dehydration, can help you find the correct treatment.
Healthy Life, Healthy Eyes
Getting adequate sleep is good for mental and physical health; sleep deprivation can accentuate dark circles. If you have difficulty falling asleep, try incorporating relaxation techniques such as light yoga and meditation into your night routine.
Eating a healthy diet with vitamins A, C, E, and K and antioxidants can improve the general state of your skin’s health, making you glow naturally. Staying hydrated and reducing salt intake can help reduce water retention and eye puffiness.
Home Remedies for Dark Circles
The most used home remedy is applying cold compresses to the eyes. Frozen cucumbers or chilled tea bags help reduce the visibility of dark circles while giving a little antioxidant boost. I do not recommend applying homemade masks because the mixture is highly likely to irritate the eye. Instead, using chilled herbs inside protective bags can help reduce swelling with some added benefits.
Products featured in the skincare routine for Brightening Dark Circles
Here’s a handy list of all the Fields of Yarrow’s 100% clean, natural and tested products, featuring high concentration of all the aforementioned natural ingredients.
When choosing a skincare product to soothe the bags under your eyes, remember to look for one that is plant-based to minimize the risk of an adverse reaction. As a skincare entrepreneur I value the effort companies make to sell high-quality products and, as a mom, I care about the planet I will leave to my children. So, look for companies that treat our world well, sourcing ingredients from sustainable sources for our planet and your skin.
Can using sun protection alone reduce the appearance of dark circles?
Wearing sunscreen is essential to protect the under-eye area from harmful UV rays, but it may not directly reduce the appearance of dark circles. Sunscreen helps prevent further darkening of the skin caused by sun damage.
Are there any specific facial exercises that can target dark circles?
Facial exercises can help improve blood circulation and muscle tone in the face but may not directly target dark circles. Instead, focus on a well-structured skincare routine and natural remedies to address dark circles.
Can certain foods or supplements help reduce dark circles?
While a healthy diet can contribute to overall skin health, there is limited scientific evidence linking specific foods or supplements directly to reducing dark circles. Focus on a balanced diet and proper skincare for better results.
Are caffeine-based eye creams safe to use around the eyes?
Caffeine-based eye creams are generally safe for use around the eyes, but it's crucial to choose products designed for the under-eye area and follow the recommended usage guidelines to avoid irritation.
Can allergies cause persistent dark circles?
Yes, allergies can lead to chronic inflammation, which may contribute to dark circles. Managing allergies and using anti-inflammatory skincare ingredients can help minimize their appearance.
How long should I wait between applying each skincare product in my under-eye area routine?
I suggest to allow a minute or two between applying each product to the under-eye area to ensure proper absorption before moving on to the next step.
Are eye massages beneficial for reducing dark circles?
Gentle eye massages can improve blood circulation and lymphatic drainage, helping to reduce puffiness. However, avoid excessive pressure and use a suitable eye cream or serum during the massage for added benefits.